“I was Popeye mad when I was a kid, and I’d eat spinach until the cows came Home.” Paul O’Grady
For all you Popeye Fans, Here’s a fabulous recipe for Hand Held Spinach Pie’s: they are absolutely delicious and easy to make!
- Fillo Dough sheets
- 4 cups of Fresh Spinach
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon mustard
- 1 cup of Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Add oil to a pan & saute chopped onions, minced garlic and adding salt to taste.
- Slowly add in Fresh uncooked Spinach a cup at a time while stirring.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and any kind of mustard ( I used a French Tarragon but any kind will be great.)
- When cooked, let cool.
- Then add in the Feta cheese and stir to combine equally.
- Set aside.
- let the filo leaves thaw a bit as its then easier to lay out without breaking apart.
- Lay out a 8″ x 7″ sheet of Fillo dough leaves on a lightly floured surface ( mine were not all in sheets from the box as some broke apart, if so- just overlap each strip next to each other to make up square).
- Crack the egg in a bowl and mix.
- Use a brush to brush on egg mixture like glue to all layers of fillo dough.
- Add a second layer of fillo dough leaves and brush again with egg mixture.
- Next put 1/4 of the spinach mixture in the center.
- Fold the four corners up to enclose the pie. (might need to patch with an extra strip of fillo if it has any breaks}
- Brush final wrapped pie with egg and place on oiled cookie sheet.
- Do this 3 more times till all 4 pies are created. Place in Freezer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cook at 425 for 20 minutes till crispy & lightly browned.
- Enjoy!! Extras can be kept in refrigerator and heated up the next day.:}
Please send your comments on this recipe. ;-}